Wednesday, September 3, 2008

week in review

This week was pretty exciting -- on Monday, we went to a Beatles Tribute Band concert. There were so many hippies there! I fit right in! This is a picture of us being superfans after the 15 minute rendition of 'Hey Jude'.
On Wednesday, we went to the Graduate Studies New Student Dinner. Usually, it's pretty fun . . . but I had to give a short welcome speech. I tripped on the way up to the podium, but it wasn't like there was a thousand people there. Oh wait, there was :) At least I have a new embarrassing moment story to share. The speech itself went okay -- I didn't have any major snafus for the rest of the evening until I was drawing tickets for a scholarship prize. The first three I drew were duds, so I decided to mix things up. The cage that had the tickets in it wasn't as sturdy as a previously imagined, so it almost crashed when I tried to spin it. I heard an audible gasp when it started teetering . . . but the ticket I drew belonged to a girl from Casper, WY, where I was born and most of my dad's family lives. All's well that ends well, right?
On Thursday, I was more relaxed than at the beginning of the week. I challenged Cody to a sweet game of Chairs. I borrowed it from my internship supervisor, Cody thought it was pointless, then he started building a tower. It got pretty high, but crashed in the end.
On Friday, the GSS (aka my employer) sponsored a giant BBQ for all of the grad students at BYU. It went surprisingly well, considering Cody got sent on a wild goose chase for serving spoons and the band didn't show up until fifteen minutes before they were supposed to start playing.
On Saturday, we went to the BYU game. It was amazing! Our voices were gone about five minutes into the second quarter, which is understandable since our boys scored three times within five minutes :) I also got a pretty raw sunburn. Who gets burned in mid-September? Seriously! You can kind of see it in this picture (I am holding my pasty white underarm up for comparison) . . . but I was the recipient of much sympathy at church today, so I'm thinking I look pretty beat up.

4 comments:

Tammi said...

Larkin. . .I am confused. . .the post is dated September 3?????

Larkin said...

I can't fix it!!! Technology!!!!

Rach said...

That last picture is pretty funny if you don't have the explanation...good face :)

p.s. Sounds like the GSS is as crazy and exciting as ever.

Nicole said...

Where were you guys sitting at the game? We got all the sun on our left sides. The sun was pretty bad, huh? : ) Are you going to Makenna's bridal shower?