Friday, November 20, 2009

another speech story

One of my speech students is working on idioms -- understanding that little sayings like 'don't let the cat out of the bag' or 'I'm all tied up' are not literal and actually mean something else. I have these cards that have the phrase on one card and the real meaning on another matching card. My student has done really well at memorizing the meanings. His favorite is 'She has a green thumb really means . . . she is good at helping plants & flowers grow.'

Today I learned he hasn't quite grasped the meaning of a green thumb -- he said "I am getting so good at matching these cards because I have a green thumb!"

Better luck to me next week . . .

1 comment:

Heather said...

I know the exact cards you're talking about! I used them this week with one of my students :)