Friday, February 6, 2009

things i've learned from my thesis #1

I am thinking that this list will get pretty long over the next few months, but here is the first major thing I have learned from writing a thesis.

I need to grow some thick skin -- quick!

I hate getting drafts back with tons of comments and corrections. I think this stems from the fact that I am borderline OCD perfectionist . . . I just want to do things right the first time and not worry about it ever again. So learning to handle criticism is definitely on the list of things to do ASAP.

I am getting better at dealing with revisions (as long as there is at least one page that doesn't have any problems) and starting to actually realize that my committee isn't trying to be mean, they are really just trying to help!!

In happier news, I have finally defended my prospectus (basically my research plan). The next step is to get approval from the IRB -- their job is to make sure that I won't be treating my human participants unfairly. Then I can start collecting data!! Woot woot!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Keep going! You're getting closer to the lovely end we call DEFENSE! Hope you're surviving the process :)

Tricia said...

I remember when Mark was doing all this. Good times...not ones I care to relive though :)! Good job on the first part, and good luck on the rest.

Meghan said...

Ahhh! Larkin, I am SO with you on this! I've been going through the same thing and it sure is hard to deal with! Haha. And then there's my committee which includes Dr. Harris who makes me cry. Ah, the life of grad student...It will all be over soon, right?! GOOD LUCK! And congrats on defending your prospectus! :)