Wednesday, August 11, 2010

some iowa tidbits

*I started work on Monday. I never realized how destitute the Utah education system was ... it will be hard to leave my job when Cody graduates (is it pathetic that I already love my job enough to think about leaving? I have had a lot of time to think lately!). To my speech friends across the nation, do any of you work for AEAs? And what do you think about it? Maybe my rosy colored glasses will come off soon, but for now I will keep them. You can see where I work by clicking these words. We live in the magenta area (Iowa City) and I work in the blue area (Southwest Region), specifically HLV, Lone Tree, and Williamsburg. I am planning on quite the commute!

*Some of the biggest shocks for me have been sounds. Thunder 'rolls' here instead of echoing off the mountains -- it is really wild. It is so deep and lasts for several consecutive minutes. Consequently, the thunder keeps me up at night. There have been thunderstorms four of the eight nights we have been here. I have slept through ONE :(

There are also these crazy loud bugs that come out in the evenings. You can hear them through the walls of your house! We first encountered them when we stopped at Winter Quarters. The sound was so loud that I didn't believe Cody when he told me they were bugs . . .


*We have fab neighbors! He is doing a residency for opthamology & she plays the violin in Orchestra Iowa. AND, they have an adorable 10 month old boy who will hopefully relieve the pain of missing these two:


5 comments:

Stacie Couch said...

I remember those bugs when we stopped at winter quarters too! They were SO loud! I can't imagine sleeping through that. Good luck! Can't wait to see you next week!

Stephanie said...

Hahaha Larkin! We call the bugs 'demon crickets'! They are so loud...

Brittanie said...

When we arrived at our Winter Quarters hotel I parked under a power line. I thought the noise was the power line having trouble and made Marcus move the car to another spot. Good times Good times.

Brett - Rachel B said...

You guys look so happy and cute!

Sara said...

Those bugs are probably cicadas :) They're really cool--my brother and I used to collect their shells and give them to my grandma, lol...not sure if she thought they were as spiffy as we did.

Enjoy the thunder! Nothing like those late afternoon/night thunderstorms in the summertime :)