This weekend was BYU Homecoming -- coincedentally, it was also Homecoming for the kiddos in our Sunday School class and boy, did we hear about it :) One of the joys inherent in working for the Graduate Student Society is participating in the Homecoming Parade. Sick! This year, it entailed going crazy trying to find a vehicle to use, misspelling distance on a horrendously ugly homemade poster, arriving at the Marriott Center at 7:45 A.M. & braving a mini-blizzard. Luckily, the snow stopped before we actually had to walk along the parade route -- but it was SO FLIPPIN DANG COLD!!!! I couldn't believe how many people bundled up their kids and brought them. There were at least as many people as were there in the 80 degree weather last year. Crazy! Cody drove our sweet truck & people were calling his name -- what a popular dude . . . I was popular because I was handing out candy. Not lame-o candy like Tootsie Rolls or Dum Dums -- we were giving out the good stuff : M&Ms, Snickers, Junior Mints, Hot Tamales. The GSS knows how to roll in style.
After the parade, I crashed on our couch for a while and missed a great Longhorn victory over Oklahoma -- go Texas! (Right now I am making the longhorn symbol with my hand -- I have been slightly obssessed with UT since I visited there last October).
Somehow, Cody coaxed me out of my WARM blankets and back out into the cold for the BYU game. Geez! At least we were in the endzone where Austin Collie made a phenomenal catch to put the Cougars up 21 -3. I guess there is some mercy in the world -- I probably would have killed over if we had been on the other end of the field.
Then (as if our day hadn't already been long enough), we met up with Justin & Ashley and some of their friend at Tucano's for dinner. It was delish -- I would pay full price just to eat their mashed potatoes all night. There were a couple groups from Orem's homecoming there -- obviously those high school boys weren't being very considerate when they took their dates to an all you can eat resturant. I felt for the girls -- especially the ones in the form fitting dresses :)
On Sunday morning when I woke up, I could barely move my legs without massive pain shooting through my calves. Cody found no fewer than five huge knots in each leg when he was trying to massage away my pain. I feel like such a wimp for getting so beat up, just because I walked 3-ish miles in below freezing temperatures. Today I am feeling better, but my brisk walk from the Former President's Home to the Taylor Building just about killed me. Maybe I will have monster calves by the time this ordeal is over -- if I do, you know there will be pictures :)
Okay, so this was a monster post! Kudos to you if you finished reading it all!
4 comments:
Hi Larkin! I somehow came upon your blog. It's a fun one! And now it's on my blog list. I saw you looking awesome in the parade on Saturday but I was to cold to work up the energy to yell out for you. I should have, you probably would have liked it. So I'm making up for it now with a blog comment :)
Is it grammatically correct to use flippin and dang, two slang words, in the same sentence? WOW! Your college education is really showing:)
wow, sounds like the parade was seriously coldie! sorry you guys froze! I think over the summer I forgot how cold Logan can get, the little bit of snow we got this weekend was way too cold for me. Let's hope global warming kicks in soon... and if it doesn't then you and I are going shopping for new sweaters!!
Ditto on Katie's comment- sweater shopping is definately a must. We will go bargain shopping ;)
Post a Comment